Gunmen kill two, kidnap 8 in FCT

Two residents have been confirmed killed after suspected kidnappers attacked the Extension 2 Relocation, along Arab Road, in the Kubwa area of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

Eight residents, including a member of the National Youth Service Corps, identified only as Adenike, were reportedly abducted by the hoodlums.

PUNCH Metro gathered that Adenike was abducted in her father’s house.

A source said, “Adenike, the landlord’s only daughter who’s currently doing her NYSC, was kidnapped. Seven others were kidnapped alongside Adenike. We’re confused now because several people are also missing.”

During the attack, an eyewitness, who reached out to our correspondent through a distress call, said the gunmen shot sporadically on Amilomania Street and later moved to Toyin Street.

He said, “We heard gunshots twice when they first stormed a house on Amilonania Street. They’re now on Toyin Street, at the last house by the hill.

“They shot a tailor, Abel, popularly known as Oshodi, and he’s lying down dead. They also shot another male, but we have taken him to the Kubwa General Hospital at Phase 4; he’s unconscious. The gunmen escaped through the hill.”

The FCT Police Command said it had commenced investigation into the attack.

The Commissioner of Police, Sunday Babaji, noted that the swift response of operatives of the command resulted in the rescue of three victims and recovery of firearms and ammunition, including one AK-47 rifle and 25 rounds of ammunition.

The command’s spokesperson, Josephine Adeh, in a statement obtained by our correspondent on Wednesday, said preliminary investigation revealed that around 7.30pm on December 6, some armed criminals entered the estate and shot two people — one Abel, popularly known as Oshodi, and one Abdulwahab.

She said, “The suspects, while departing the scene, left with four victims, possibly to enable them to evade arrest by the approaching police response team deployed in the area for quick intervention.

“The two gunshot victims were immediately rushed to a hospital for medical attention. Unfortunately, one of them, Oshodi, could not survive as he was confirmed dead by a doctor, while Abdulwahab is still being attended to.”

However, some residents slammed the police command for claiming that it rescued three victims.

The residents said the police only showed up hours after the gunmen had abducted eight people, including the corps member.

“The police didn’t rescue anyone among the kidnap victims. Only one young man escaped, as he struggled with the gunmen and fled,” a resident, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said.

Another resident, who asked to be identified as Tunde for security reasons, said none of the victims was rescued.

“We are still looking for eight persons,” he added.

The estate’s vice-chairman, Mr Frank Boboi, said the second gunshot victim, Abdullahi, died on Wednesday.

Boboi said, “Abdullahi is also dead. He died this morning at a hospital in Gwagwalada. We rushed him to the Kubwa General Hospital alongside Abel, who was declared dead on arrival, but the hospital didn’t have adequate equipment to resuscitate him while he was unconscious, so we took him to Gwagwalada, where he was placed on an oxygen device, but later gave up the ghost this morning.

“About seven to eight persons were kidnapped, but none of them have been rescued. Only one escaped last night (Tuesday) out of the nine that were abducted.”

Boboi said the community needed a police post, adding that the local vigilantes hired to secure the community were incapable.

The elder brother of the corps member, Femi, said the family was worried, adding that the abductors had yet to contact the family.

latest nigerian news today