Minister promises compensation for Abuja’s Thug violence victims
The Minister of FCT, Muhammad Bello has promised to divert some public funds to support individuals who suffered losses when armed thugs attacked #EndSARS protests in Apo and Dutse-Alhaji areas of the country’s capital earlier in the week.
Hoodlums ran amok in the suburbs between Monday and Tuesday, with seven people reportedly killed and dozens of shops, houses and auto marts razed.
Mr. Bello, who visited the volatile areas on Thursday, said a committee has been set up to work out modalities for reparation for damages caused to affected individuals in the simultaneous attacks.
“We have seen the level of damage and I must admit that it is unfortunate. However, a committee has been set up to look at all the issues. Those who lost anything should approach the committee”, he said.
“Compensations will be paid to those who have genuine cases. All the issues will be resolved as soon as possible”, Mr. Bello said.
Peoples Gazette gathers that peace has returned the neighbourhoods amidst presence of security agents.
Although some arrests have been made in connection to the incidents, the Gazette could not independently verify how many culprits have been taken into custody.
#EndSARS campaigners have remained undeterred in their protest against police brutality in the country, despite intimidation by their ProSARS counterparts and state forces.
Aside from being forcefully dispersed and manhandled by security agents, the protesters have been violently attacked by pro-government thugs wielding sticks and machetes.
The two-week demonstration has slowed down economic activities in the FCT, with protesters barricading strategic points, including the entry and exit points into the capital city through the airport road.
The campaigners are demanding more commitment from the Federal Government in eradicating the excesses of the Nigeria Police Force — a move they insist transcends the dissolution of the now defunct Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).