UN outraged over attack on its facility in Nigeria

The UN on Monday condemned the Saturday’s attack on its “major humanitarian facility” in Nigeria’s northeastern state of Borno.

“I am outraged by the extremely violent attack on this key humanitarian facility where five United Nations staff were staying at the time of the incident,” Edward Kallon, the UN humanitarian coordinator in the country, said in a statement.

According to the statement, the humanitarian hub in Ngala local government area was targeted by “heavily armed non-state armed groups operatives.”

“An entire section of the facility was burned down as well as one of the few vehicles UN agencies rely on for movement and aid delivery. Protective security measures deployed at the humanitarian hub prevented any harm to the staff who was in the facility,” it added.

“Such incidents have a disastrous effect on the lives of the most vulnerable people who depend on our assistance to survive. Many of them had already fled violence in their area of origin and were hoping to find safety and assistance in Ngala,” the statement said.

Nigeria has been fighting insurgents groups for over a decade.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here