Boko Haram: ISWAP reportedly sacks military base in Gajigana
Security forces on Wednesday restricted vehicular movement along the Maiduguri – Monguno road in order to conclude their operation following an attack by Boko Haram, operating under ISWAP on Tuesday at a security forces base in Gajigana village in northeast Nigeria.
Details of casualty are yet to be established, however, security forces deployed fighter jet to support the ground troops in repelling the attack, a credible source told DAILY POST in Maiduguri.
“The authorities may inform you of the progress we are making, however, for now we are still in pursuit of these criminals and we would get all of them.” Our Source said.
Boko Haram militants have continued with their operations within the northern Borno axis, carrying their war campaign to villages and also targeting military bases within the lake chad region.
The military base which was attacked yesterday in Gajigana is about 32 kilometres from Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.
“This is not the first time Gajigana has come under attack of Boko Haram especially the ISWAP led militants, who are believed to have been supported by group of rebels and other terrorists organisation around the lake chad.” Umar Zakari, a resident of Monguno told DAILY POST in Maiduguri.
Our correspondent reports that, last week, security forces had restricted movement along the same road following an attack in Gajiram, which forced soldiers to withdraw from the location for a few days.
It could be recalled that within last week, a similar attack was recorded in Mafa and Kukawa local governments respectively, an indication that the Boko Haram-led ISWAP is portraying the ability to coordinate several attacks across the lake chad region.
However, with the relocation of the Chief of Army staff, Lt. General T.Y. Buratai to the Command and Control Centre and the deployment of more troops and the MNJTF from Chad in Monguno, there is hope that the ISWAP will soon be put under pressure to scale down their operations in the region.
Attempt, however, to get an official statement from Operation Lafiya Dole on the latest attack did not yield fruit as calls to reach the Acting Director, Army Public Relations, Col. Sagir Musa proved abortive.
Source: Daily Post